Saturday 25 April 2009

when droitwich becomes kg. droitwich




Worcestershire ...my first thought was , i swear i've seen a sauce on a supermarket's shelf bearing a similar name. I was surely right, and true to its name the factory is located not quite a stone throw away but near enough as we now live in a small village-like town called droitwich in the county of Worcestershire. I've been to Worcestershire in 2004 and didn't really think much of it..compare to Cumbria where we were based back then the area seemed busy and bleak. But now after almost 3 years in Droitwich everything seems almost 'like home'.

I came to England without joy and identity. That was how i described myself if anyone asked me how i felt then. I was so miserable and sad to leave everything and everyone i know in Malaysia. I was somebody then. I've established my career and a place in the community. What more could a kampung girl asked for then?

In pekan everybody seemed to know me as i was a teacher then and have taught almost most of the kids aged 13-17 there and you'd get the occasional waves and hellos of parents and kids. I've missed these dearly during my first few months in droitwich ...even when i was teaching at a high school here near droitwich i was still missing these ..but not with this lovely pre school job i have got my 'respect' back!. I have little kids knowingly waving and smiling and giving me loving hugs in town and parents nodding heads and even stopping to share 'weather' conversations with me. Suddenly i felt so important again. I felt known and loved.

It was then i realised that i don't have to be such an ungrateful and miserable little sod anymore..i can be happy! things started to feel homely. Then Morrisons feels like Pekan's local supermarket. The high streets shops feel like Pekan's bargain galore bazaars..and most of all sending Adam to school is not a lonely chore anymore...I'll walk 3 miles back and forth with my head hold up high knowing that at some bends and corners i'll have people saying and waving 'hi' or even a friendly honking or two. I have made my mark here on this foreign soil...Droitwich has become my Kampung. I know all the backstreets and shortcuts...and made friends so now everything seems in place ....i'm very happy here with my love ones so alhamdulillah we did make a right choice to come here...

1 comment:

  1. Hey...
    Love to see that ur on blogpsot.
    I do so love ur writing style. Will be back here often. pls do update :)

    ReplyDelete